I think I speak for all testers when I say that the Bug Reporting is one of the most important parts of our job. A good bug tracking system is a necessary component of a good software development infrastructure, so the professional bug reporting and tracking are one of the “hallmarks of a good software team”. From my experience, the “good bug report” can cause a shape rise in development and testing time. Let’s find out some brief terminologies required to be known:
- BUG: A software bug is an error, failure or fault in a computer program or system that causes it to produce an incorrect or unexpected result.
- BUG REPORT: When the bug is found, we need to report it and send to the developer to fix it. The reporting can be done in a simple way starting from a report in the excel and sharing with the developer. Mostly, companies use bug tracking systems to report the bug, assign it to the developer and track the bug.
- BUG TRACKING/REPORTING SYSTEM: The tracking system is the application allowing for reporting the bug and tracking it during all bug life cycle. There are plenty of tracking systems such as Jira, Trello and etc.
In bug reporting, it’s very important to be precise. Developers like precision. Remember, the bug will get fixed faster if you help them by providing all the information they need. Here are some tips how to write a good bug report:
- Check the version number: Make sure you use the latest version. It’s important to have a build number in the report.
- Make sure you found a real bug: Try to reproduce the bug again, then assign it to the developer.
- Read your report: Is it clear from developers’ point? If yes, assign it …
- One bug, one report: Check if the bug is already known. Don’t duplicate the bug. It will confuse the developers and cause conflicts in the development process.
- Report bug immediately: Don’t delay. Report the bug as soon as possible, otherwise, you can forget the details or simply forget to report it.
Here are major components that are required for good bug report. The report must include all required information allowing the developer to understand and reproduce it easily. Type Never open the improvement under the bug. Choose the right category, it is a bug, feature, story, task or improvement. Title It must be described shortly, but show the problem as clear as possible. Description Steps to reproduce: This section shows a clear instruction/steps how to reproduce the bug. A good set of instructions includes a numbered list that details each button press, or menu selection or entering data. Expected Result: Describe what should happen if the bug was fixed. Actual Result: Describe what currently happens when the bug is present. Version number: It’s always required to have a build number in the report. The same bug must not be reproducible in different versions. The developer must know the version number. Priority: The developer must have an opportunity to fix the bugs that crash the app then fix the cosmetics bugs. This will be possible if you give the right priority to the bug: trivial, minor, major, critical, blocker. Operating system: Name the operating system and version you are using, such as “Windows 2008”, or “iPhone 6s IOS 9.0”. File attachment: Add screenshots, video records or crash log. It always helps developers to understand the bug. Sometimes they even don’t read the description and understand the bug only looking on the attachment with mentioned parts. Here is an example in Jira.
Never think that bug reporting is a waste of your time. The well-reported document connects testers, developers and managers. Writing a good bug report helps your company to save resources as well as create a good relationship between testers and developers.